Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Olympians

Next, I am going to be Ramona Quimby in Ramona Quimby at the Children's Theatre, but I am missing out on QUITE a few things, such as the Fun Fair at my school, which is on Opening Night, and a ton of school because each day there are 1-2 performances during the day, so I am missing some fun days at school to. But the worst one is D.I., see, D.I. is a team that I am on with 5 other kids at my school, it stands for Destination Imagination, and the first time we meet, we choose a challenge, there were 6 choices, 4 of them were mostly just improvisation, the other two were mostly building, and our team chose one of those. Our challenge was to make two machines that worked together to do at least two tasks, such as tying a knot, lifting the other one, stacking, catch and release etc. So we chose to do lifting, where the first machine has to lift the second, stacking, and catch and release. We also had to design a skit to go with the theme of working together, so we made up a skit about a Robot Olympics, that takes place in 3012, and it starts with the kid who was playing the announcer, playing the Olympic theme song on his saxophone.

Announcer: Hello and welcome to the 3012 Robot Olympics the triathlon of lifting, stacking, and catch and release, we have here the Dragon Team, designed by (Japanese name and Japanese name).

My friend and I were the Dragon Team, and we found some some Japanese names on the Internet.

Announcer: And over here is the Tiger Team, designed by (Japanese name and Japanese name)

Did I mention this takes place in Japan?

Announcer: And here we have the other team designed by six American kids. We will start here with the Dragon Team... Go!

Me (to my friend/other robot): Ready? Okay, on the count of three I will lift you, 1, 2-

Friend: What?! I thought I was going to lift you, I was programmed to do it.

Me: No! We talked about this on the way over! I am going to lift you!

And it went on like that until...

Announcer: Enough! Disqualified!

Me and Friend: What? Disqualified?! It's your fault! (pointing to each other)

Then the rest of the play goes on with the 'Tiger Team' fighting with each other and getting disqualified, then it was time for the machines; the lifting went well and so did the catch and release, but then the stacking came... We had to get at least 3 objects stacked, and they had gotten 3 already, and one of the manned machines was on it's way to stack the 4th one, when I looked at my watch (I was timekeeper, and we had 8 minutes), and I was supposed to just say
" They only have 1 minute left" when (of course) they had a minute left and my watch said 6 minutes 36 seconds, so they only had a minute and a half left! And I knew to stack just one took a long time, so the second I could, I said my line and they were still stacking the 4th one! So then of course, the 4th one get stacked but the pile falls over, luckily, 3 still stayed up by the time the Timekeeper called "Time!"

Later our team and our two coaches went to the award ceremony, where they find out who is going to the State Competition or not. There was also another team from my school (because there were 12 kids who wanted to do it and they split it up) and they had chosen to do a different challenge, which means both of us could  win and go to State. The Ceremony was AWESOME!!! AND... both teams made it to State! 

And then the second I got home came the bad news, I called my mom and it turns out that I can't go to state! It is the day of a Ramona rehearsal!!!!!!! 
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Scarlett, I *met* you through your mom's blog and in real life at the History Theatre. My younger son was in D.I. and loved it; I was one of the parents who supervised and I loved it, too. Can you miss one day of Ramona rehearsal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping I could miss the rehearsal but that day happens to be the 4th day of technical week, where we do everything on stage with lights, costumes, and all the tech stuff, so it's one of the most important days.

    ReplyDelete